Monday, January 14, 2008

A social media experiment

Have got myself involved in a small experiment to see if the power of the network and social marketing is all we believe it is going to be. (I have also mirrored a similar version of this at Integer's shopper culture blog.)

The experiment is being run by Joseph Jaffe who runs a blog that I tend to read on a fairly regular basis. Joseph has written a new book entitled "Join the Conversation" which was published by Wiley in October 2007.

Following success with his previous books at generating reviews in non-mainstream media (none of the usual suspects reviewed his previous work) and buzz in 'new' channels Joseph is, once again, trying to see if he can get his book on the best seller list by practicing what he preaches. (although I have to confess that I have not yet read Joseph's first book, "Life after the 30-second spot" and I know I should!)

So he is trying to use the power of conversation among networks to market a product. He has named this approach UNM2PNM (Using New Media to Prove New Media). As his blog says...

'The underlying thinking behind this effort was that I would use the very approaches in my book to help market it and in so doing, would turn the book into its own case study.'

Obviously that kind of thinking appeals to me.

So what do I get out of it? First off, a free copy of the new book to review as I see fit.

Secondly, I get in on the experiment to try and use the power of my network and the conversation generated here to influence the sale of a product. I thought this was interesting enough to warrant participation and the use of the social media outlets I participate in.

It will be interesting to see what happens given the amount of book clutter that exists (I only have to look at the unread pile next to my bed) and free IP that is generated in the blog sphere - will the supposed power of social media be able to move the needle and encourage greater purchase? Well that also depends upon whether the book is any good and if the reviews encourage people to buy it or avoid it. So when it arrives I am going to try and prioritise some time to reading and reviewing it.

If you want to grab a copy of the book for yourself in advance, you can do so at amazon, (and if you do, let me know) or if you want to take part and post a review, read the original UNM2PNM post for how to participate with Joseph.

No comments: