Thursday, October 04, 2007

Graffiti Archaeology

This is a great site about a project to study graffiti-covered walls as they change over time.

At the centre of the work a timelapse collage, made of photos of graffiti taken at the same location by many different photographers over a span of several years. Most of the photos were taken in San Francisco, New York, and Los Angeles over a timespan from the late 1990's to the present.







Growing up in central London as I did, I have always been fascinated by graffiti and street art in general (see earlier Banksy post). I wish I had had the vision to take pictures in this way as I remember many sites that changed drastically over time as artists, gangs etc. moved through different parts of the city. It would have also been interesting to track the changing styles bought to us by the same tags.

No comments: